In the city of London in Giltspur street is a small gold statue on the corner of a building. It is a small golden statue called the Golden Boy of pie corner but it also is a memorial to the Great Fire of London. The Golden Boy of Pie Corner stands on the corner of Cock lane and Giltspur street. Above it is a plaque but what is it for? The Golden boy of Pie corner actually marks the point where the Great Fire of London of 1666 finally burnt out.
The golden boy was originally built into the front of a Public House called the Fortune of War. The fortune of war used to occupy the site previously but it was pulled down in 1910. The Pub also had a rather interesting history of what is described in the plaque below.
The golden Boy of Pie corner a memorial to The great fire of London
The golden Boy of Pie corner is a late 17th century monument located on the corner of Giltspur Street and Cock Lane in Smithfield London. The statue was previously known as ‘The Fat Boy’ and it marks the spot where the 1666 Great Fire of London finally burnt out and came to a halt.
The statue is very close to the large Fire of London Monument that marks the place where the fire started in Pudding lane. The memorial is a Grade 11 listed memorial and you can see the gold naked chubby small boy made out of wood. It is painted gold and stands on the corner of the building with an inscription below.
What does the Golden Boy memorial mean?
It is said that the fat boy is there to remind people of their Gluttony. This links the bakery where people would buy pies and bread in pudding lane to that of Pye corner. One being where the fire started and one where it ended.
In fact Pie Corner probably got its name from a pub called the Magpie and stump that was just down the road to the site at 18 Old Bailey. The ‘Magpie and Stump’ was a centuries old public house. During the years of 1783 to 1868 public executions took place at the Old Bailey. The pub landlords would rent out its rooms to rich patrons who wanted to watch “a good hanging”. For a rather large fee they could stay overnight in one of the pub bedrooms and gorge themselves on an “execution or hanging breakfast”. The Big wigs could then view the hanging from a prime position in the street below from their window.
How did Cock lane get its name?
Cock lane’s name is either derived from the breeding of fighting cocks or what the medieval lane was used for. Cock lane was previously known as Cockes Lane and was the only licensed street for legal Brothels and prostitutes.
Where did the fire of London start?
The fire of London started on Sunday the 2nd of September 1666 in Pudding lane London just few minutes from Pudding Lane. It started in a bakery or bake house of Robert Farryner (or Farriner). The Monument is now on this site marking the spot
How did the great fire of London Finish?
The blaze of the great fire of London was finally stopped by blowing up houses at Pye Corner on the 4th September 1666 during the night. The fire ravaged through London for four days, finally ending on Wednesday 5 th September 1666.
The fire was successfully stopped at The following places; Fetter Lane Corner, Pie Corner, Holborn Bridge and Temple. Gunpowder was used to blow up houses surrounding the fires so they could not continue. By doing this it successfully stopped the fire from spreading further around to the Tower of London and Cripplegate.
Who made the Golden Boy of Pye corner?
The Golden Boy was carved in the early 18th century by a signmaker called Puckridge in Hosier Lane. The writing for this is on the base of the statue under his feet. It quotes the words Puckridge Fecit Hosier Lane. This means Puckridge Made Me. The Carver was situated in Hosier Lane which was a street near to Cock Lane. He is painted in gold and not gilded, and the inscription that was originally on his chest is now seen on a stone plaque below.
The Golden Boy of Pie Corner Inscription in Stone reads
The Golden Boy of Pie Corner Inscription in Stone under the statue reads;
This boy is in memory put up for the late Fire of London Occasioned by the sin of Gluttony 1666
The golden Boy of Pye Corner
The Boy at Pye corner was erected to commemorate the staying of the Great Fire which beginning at Pudding lane was ascribed to the sin of Gluttony.
When not attributed to the Papists as on the Monument and the boy was made prodigiosly fat to enforce the moral.
He was originally built into the front of a public house called ‘The Fortune of War’ which used to occupy this site and was pulled down in 1910
The Fortune of war was the chief house of call north of the river for resurrections in body snatching days years ago.
The landlord used to show the room to the where on benches round the walls the bodies were placed Labelled with the snatchers names waiting till the surgeons at Saint Bartholomews could run round and appraise them.
The Fortune of War pub was demolished in 1910 where the 17th century memorial was originally. Teh Golden boy was was saved and placed on the corner close to its original position.
Where is the Golden Boy of Pye Corner?
The address of the Golden boy is 1-4, Giltspur Street, London, EC1A 9DD
Leave a Reply